I’m in Georgia!

If you’ve been flying very long you’ve learned you have to remain flexible at all times. Today I’m happily on the south Georgia coastline getting ready for a ferry ride to Cumberland Island for a fun day. Friday night I wasn’t sure we were even going to get here. Boyd hasn’t had a vacation in over a year and I finally convinced him to take a week off and head whichever direction the weather looked good. He wanted to fly his Mooney 231 so I was willing to “sacrifice” and navigate our way to the warm weather and sunshine. Of course, things don’t always go as planned and at the last moment the 231 decided to have mag issues. No problem, I was happy as could be to switch it up, be the PIC and head southeast – at half speed.

32 degrees departing MQJ and Boyd intends to keep warm in the back!

Seems like every tandem airplane is always cold in the back. In the fall and winter whoever gets that seat needs to be prepared.

Crossing the mountains with fog in the valleys

We departed at 8:10 a.m. and watched the sun rise to the southeast. Although it would have been a non-stop Mooney flight, our 6.25 flight time included 2 stops. First was to refuel at Sommerset, KY (KSME) at their self-serve pump. The FBO is amazing; they had a modern airline terminal built not too long ago but they no longer have air service in and out. So, the FBO took the terminal over –  it’s a major step up from your run of the mill FBO.

Playing with my iphone camera!

Incredibly, ground fog is still lurking at 12:30 when we’re thinking “What’s for lunch?”

Almost to our lunch stop

Oh darn, hungry or not, our lunch/fuel stop at 1A3 Copperhill, Tennessee was tucked under the edge of the fog and a no go. Always nice to be fat with fuel.

Lunch Stop?!

Me, miss a meal? Not a chance. We ate peanut butter and crackers I brought along standing a the fuel pump at Gainsville, GA. Dinner better be really good tonight!

Yikes, ANTS!

It was a gusty landing at Jessup, Georgia but that was the least of my worries. I taxied up and swung the tail around, hopped out to tie it down and was greeted by an unnoticed ant hill in the grass. OMG, within seconds I must have had 200 of those little red critters climbing up my shoes and pants taking bites out of me!! I’m sure it was a sight to see, me jumping up and down, kicking and picking ants as fast as I could move. They were determined to get me and I was even more determined to get them. I won!

But, as always, things work out for the best. Turned out to be a lovely dinner at a beautiful spot on the Georgia coast.

  • Jan Johnson
    Posted at 15:34h, 10 November Reply


  • Rusty Richards
    Posted at 16:22h, 08 November Reply

    That looks like fun Judy! One of the boys today at Millionair said he met you at the Apple store. Small world. They always treat me right there.
    Good to see pics of you in the air again!

  • Posted at 20:12h, 07 November Reply

    When comparing it to the money don’t think if it as taking twice as long think of having twice the fun at half the cost.

  • Judy Birchler
    Judy Birchler
    Posted at 19:02h, 07 November Reply

    Thanks girls. We’re staying down here for a few days and hope the wx looks good when its time to head back. I stopped at Jekyll Island airport this morning, just in time to see a lady taxi up in her Stinson 108. Gotta love my timing!

  • tina thomas
    Posted at 12:44h, 07 November Reply

    What a nice trip for you and Boyd!! Looks like fun flying…

  • Lisa Martin
    Posted at 10:43h, 07 November Reply

    Me too on the final photo, Anne and Judy. Did you stay over or fly home in the dark? I loved Boyd’s winter-wear. My husband keeps telling me he’s going to make me ride in the back some day so I can know how cold it gets back there 🙂

  • Anne Wright
    Posted at 19:32h, 06 November Reply

    I’m so glad Boyd finally got a vacation, and you got to fly! I love the glass of wine at sunset – perfect!

Post A Comment