Apr 2010 Sun ‘N Fun 2010 -Thursday
Sadly, we headed back home Thursday afternoon thanks to a flu “bug” that tried to ruin my otherwise very fun visit.
I’m hanging in there and thought I’d add a few observations on what I saw at Sun ‘N Fun.
– the poor economy and the windy weather made for a poor turnout, at least early in the week (totally unofficial observation!)
– visitors from around the world still come to Lakeland to see for themselves the incredible assortment of airplanes – talk to like minded aviators &Â aviatrixes – and make lifelong friends. Â Heck, that’s why we’re all there!
– you don’t have to wonder around long to notice the aviation population is TRULY aging. Â Don’t get me wrong, it’s part of life, but now’s the time to share our passion with the next generation. Â For what it’s worth, I’m really going to start making an effort to talk it up and give airplane rides to those outside of my aviation circle. Â It’s downright sad how few 20 & 30 somethings you see making their way around Sun’n Fun.
– Sun ‘n Fun sure could use a fresh, new approach to attracting women aviationÂ enthusiasts. Â Just like men, many wives and girlfriends attending do not want to pilot a plane; they come to see their friends, enjoy the sunshine and have a good time. Â I think that’s a great thing. Â What I don’t understand is how EAA organized visits to the local Tupperware factory or group ladies’ shopping trips can be easier to find than aviation gatherings and forums for women. Â Surely I’m just not looking in the right place?!?
– Light Sport (LSAs) are all the rage! Â It’s shocking how far this industry has grown in no time but be prepared to spend big bucks if you buy new. Â You’ve got to ask yourself “would I rather have 2 or 3 or even 4 7AC Champs, or one brand spanking new, factory built LSA?”
And as far as next year goes, we’ll no doubt be there. Â I hear the camping is good but if you’re not into camping, let me know. Â I found the perfect spot to stay, reasonably priced, and a mere 25 minutes away! Â I’ll fill you in!